Frank Salter’s recent series of articles on the war against human nature got me to thinking about Hollywood’s undeclared war against human nature and reality. It often seems to be the case that if reality is X then Hollywood’s prescription will be not X.
Traditionally, stereotypes are in accordance with reality. Like oral epic poetry, traditional stereotypes are the accumulation of generational wisdom of various folkways. Unhappy with the reality of the stereotypes, however, many Cultural Marxists began in the mid 20th century to try to reverse these stereotypes, the idea being that if the stereotype is reversed, so reality will be reversed. Hollywood has followed suit.
Examples of Hollywood representations contrary to reality:
– The dumb blonde. This really goes back to post-WWII anxiety. Unfortunately for Hollywood, countries with high percentages of blonds, such as Sweden or Norway, have some of the highest average IQs on the planet.
– Evil Germans. Perhaps no single group has been more denigrated by Hollywood than Germans or people of German ancestry. The epitome of falsehood of this fiction is the creation of the “German terrorist” in movies such as Die Hard.
– The wise negro. In this fiction, whites are lost and without guidance but along comes a “wise negro” to give advice and direction. Morgan Freeman has made an entire career out of this character. Has anyone ever met a white person in real life guided by a “wise negro”?
– Widespread miscegenation. Although miscegenation is now more common than it was 50 years ago, it’s still statistically rare in reality but extremely overrepresented in movies.
– Violent white criminals. Although there are violent white criminals, blacks make up 13% of the US population but commit around 59% of felony homicides. Violent whites are overrepresented and violent blacks underrepresented in movies.
– The evil rich WASP. Although there still are rich WASPs, WASPs are no longer the elite in control of the USA; Ashkenazis are, yet they’re never vilified.
– Over-representation of non-whites in period pieces. In the 1960 census, the USA was 90% white. But from period pieces of the early 20th century, one would infer that the USA was around 50% non-white.
– Smart black judges and doctors putting dumb whites in their place. Given the average IQ of blacks, this is comical.
– Whites sexually taking advantage of blacks. Odd considering: “In the United States in 2005, 37,460 white females were sexually assaulted or raped by a black man, while between zero and ten black females were sexually assaulted or raped by a white man.”
– Peaceful Amerindians. As discovered by Lawrence Keeley, many Amerindians were committing genocide against each other prior to contact with Europeans.
– Peaceful Muslims misunderstood by violent Westerners.
– Swarthy females, such as Kim Kardashian, peddled as the epitome of female beauty, when, as Peter Frost has shown, the overwhelming preference is for fair females.
– Pathologically altruistic beta males getting the ladies. Chateau Heartiste can show you this is not true.
– Nordic-looking dumb villains, outsmarted by swarthier-looking smarter outsiders.
– Too uptight whites (exercising good impulse control?) who need to follow more free-flowing (poor impulse control?) blacks in order to loosen up.
– Third World immigration enriching Western countries (although in reality ruining Western countries). This is a relatively new representation but one that will continue to grow.
While these false representations created by Hollywood won’t overturn human nature, they can certainly do damage and confuse many people. For instance, many Americans and foreigners, when asked the percentage of the USA they believe to be black, will answer around 50%, which is probably due to the over-representation of blacks in movies.
Please add other false representations in the comments below and I’ll add them to the list.
– “Multiracial gangs, or at least multiracial criminals working together (like, one burglar is white and his buddy is black). In reality organized crime tends to be segregated.”
“Are Women Who Tan Sluts?”